A 24-Hour Trip to Detroit

Hey everyone!

This weekend, the Kansas City Royals played a series against the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park in Michigan. Since we’ve been living in Canada for the past 2 years, we’ve only been able to see the Royals once or twice when they visit Toronto to play the Blue Jays. My brother is a huge baseball fan, and one of his “life goals” is to visit every MLB ballpark in North America. Detroit, Michigan is only about a 4-hour drive from Toronto. Add all that up and what do you get? A 24-hour trip to Detroit to watch our home team play! #ForeverRoyal

We left our driveway on the sunny morning of August 9th, and thus began the drive to Detroit. If you have seen any of my other traveling posts, you would know that I never go on any sort of trip without a good book in my hands. On this particular trip, I happened to be reading 100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons, which I will definitely be reviewing in an upcoming post. The title perfectly matched the weather outside, as it was a bright and sunny day with beautiful white clouds in the sky.

Comerica Park is literally right on the other side of the U.S./Canadian border, so after we drove across the Ambassador Bridge and cleared customs, we only had about a 10 minute drive to our hotel.  We were staying so close to the field that we could see it from our hotel window!

The border between Canada and America

After getting decked-out in our Royals-gear, we headed over to the field to get in and find our seats.

Comerica Park, the second home of the Detroit Tigers, was opened in the summer of 2000, and cost over $300 million to build. Featuring one of the largest scoreboards in baseball, a carousel, ferris wheel, and a water fountain that synchronizes to music, the ballpark is definitely a huge attraction in Detroit. The scoreboard measures 127 feet wide by 48 feet tall, and the carousel features tigers to ride instead of horses. The ferris wheel cars are designed to look like baseballs, an the water fountain behind center field shoots out “Liquid Fireworks.” While there, we only saw 2 of these features in action – the carousel, which we passed on the way to our seats, and the scoreboard. I never saw the ferris wheel, and I don’t think they turned on the fountains while we were there.

After finding our seats, we saw Salvador Perez – the Royals’ catcher – being interviewed and signing autographs by the dugout! My brother had previously gotten his autograph on a baseball in Toronto, but we hurried down anyway in hopes of getting a selfie with him. We were literally next in line for a picture when he had to head back to the dugout, so that was a bummer. But oh well, we can always try again at another Royals game!

The Royals’ dugout

After singing only the National Anthem (which felt weird after singing both it and Oh Canada at Toronto baseball games), the game began. It started off strong when Whit Merrifield, the Royals second-baseman, hit an inside-the-park home run in the first inning, but slowly went down-hill as the Tigers scored more runs against us. Detroit ended up winning, and the final score was 5-2.

We just so happened to be there on a fireworks night, so we stayed after the game to watch them. I haven’t seen fireworks in a while, so it was fun to watch all the colors and different displays above the field.

The next morning, we checked out of our hotel and hit the road again. We decided to drive to a famous fried-chicken restaurant in Port Huron for lunch on the way back to Toronto, which was called Palm’s Krystal Bar and Grill. First opened in 1936 during the Great Depression, the successful restaurant chain was the first ever fried-chicken franchise – it’s signature dish being Chicken in the Rough. The name came from when the founder, Beverly Osborne, and his wife were driving their pickup truck from Oklahoma to California in search of work. All they had were a few belongings and a basket of fried chicken to take with them. Suddenly, a bump in the road sent the chicken flying out of the basket and all across the floor of the truck. As Beverly’s wife picked it up, she said, “this is really chicken in the rough.” That comment sparked an idea in Beverly’s mind, so he turned the truck around and headed back to Oklahoma. Using the money he received from selling his wife’s wedding ring, he opened the first ever fried chicken fast-food restaurant, and the rest is history.

Despite the other tempting options on the menu (including fried chicken liver and gizzards – eww), we decided to share 2 orders of chicken and waffles. I’d never had chicken and waffles before, but I have always liked the two separately. So it came as no surprise that I enjoyed them combined, and it made for a very tasty meal.

After eating lunch, we decided to stop by an antique/craft/junk market to look around. My Mom and I love those kinds of places, and it looked like somewhere Joanna Gaines from Fixer-Upper would shop for unique pieces. (Anyone else watch that show?) It was fun to walk around and look at all the different items!

Had to throw this one in for the Lord of the Rings fans out there! XD

And finally, before crossing the border to head back into Canada, we sat on the banks of the St. Clair River to soak up the sunshine and fresh air. I kicked off my shoes and enjoyed dipping my toes into the refreshing blue water, looking across the river and into Canada on the other side.

And that concluded our 24-hour trip to Detroit! We had so much fun, and I hope you enjoyed reading about it and seeing the photos I took!

Have a great week everyone! Until next time,

6 thoughts on “A 24-Hour Trip to Detroit”

  1. 100 Days Of Sunlight!! I’ve been wanting to read that ever since I heard about it. XD That sounds like a great trip– especially that restaurant. :D


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s